About the role:
Super Dispatch is looking for a Backend/Platform Engineer that will support the platform and software engineers at the company by collaborating closely with DevOps Engineer (and also communicating with other teams/departments). The Backend/Platform Engineer focuses on the productivity of the platform and engineers, and provides tools, automation, improvements, and leads internal projects.
- Own the deployment and release process with DevOps Engineer.
- Help continuously improving the infrastructure of the Super Dispatch platform.
- Provide automation, tools, best practices to engineers to accelerate the development and deployment process.
- Lead internal technical projects while other engineers are focused on Product development.
- Help engineers with improving observability, maintainability, scalability, and reliability.
- Optimize components of the architecture to effective use compute and storage resources.
- Improve the application and infrastructure security by following the best practices and implementing suggestions proposed by partners and internal teams.
- At least 3+ years of professional coding experience in general, at least 1 year of which is experience working in the required areas: infrastructure, automation, internal tools, platform support.
- Fluent in Python and its frameworks, such as Django, Flask, Starlette, etc.
- Hands-on experience building on cloud platforms like GCP/AWS.
- Hands-on experience with Kubernetes.
- Hands-on experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- Hands-on experience with observability platforms (Datadog, New Relic, ELK).
- Strong experience with relational and NoSQL databases.
- Good understanding of Systems Design.
- Familiar and has experience with good engineering practices.
- You are a constant learner, you can pick up new programming frameworks and concepts quickly.
- You have a passion about algorithms and data structures.
- You have experience in Java and Golang.
- You have experience designing, building and running distributed systems (e.g., microservices) in a production environment.
- You are familiar with automation and testing tools.
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Infrastructure expertise: You have experience in scaling production software to support rapid growth, monitoring production systems, and managing resource constraints.
- Working in production: You have experience debugging systems in production. You appreciate the skill and challenge of replacing production components with minimal user disruption. You are able to be on an on-call rotation.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You're not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills - you are a great writer, speaker, and listener. You can communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Team player - you have a collaborative mindset and the ability to build positive relationships with individuals across the organization.
- Open and positive - you have the willingness to learn and are open to criticism and new ideas.
- Proactive - you act without being told what to do and regularly bring new ideas and perspectives.
- Highly motivated - you are a self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Flexibility - you adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions, you respond positively to complexity and change.
- Sense of urgency - you thrive in a fast-paced, get-it-done environment.
- Bonus points for: certificates in related fields (Cloud Computing, System Design, Infrastructure, CI/CD).
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Graduate from Super Dispatch’s company-wide new employee onboarding program. You’ll get caught up with who we are, how we work, and what we're building.
- Understand the full functionality of Super Dispatch products, as well as the greater auto transportation industry and competitive landscape.
- Have knowledge on how applications run on the cloud, how the performance is measured, how development and deployment are managed.
- Understand the core parts of the codebase, start reviewing pull requests, ship small changes.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Collaborate on technical projects, especially platform/component improvements within Super Dispatch.
- Collaborate with engineers, DevOps, CTO/Director of engineering to tackle the interesting and challenging problems for supporting and enabling an end-to-end (vehicle) shipping platform in the United States.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Start expanding your involvement and work with different teams on their challenges and improvements.
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Be a valuable contributor of the team you work with and within Super Dispatch in general.
- Be a contributing member of the backend developer community of Super Dispatch affecting and improving our backend components across the company.